The STPF application will re-open in June 2023.
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Science & Technology Policy Fellowships offer an exciting opportunity for scientists and engineers to gain hands-on policy experience in a government setting. In this post, we’ll explore the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships in more detail, including what they are, how to apply, and the benefits they offer.
What are the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships?
The AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships are a one-year fellowship program that places scientists and engineers in a variety of government settings, including Congress, federal agencies, and the executive branch. Fellows have the opportunity to work on a range of policy issues, from climate change to healthcare to national security.
How to Apply for the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships
To apply for the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a PhD or an equivalent doctoral-level degree in any scientific, engineering, or social science field
- Have a strong interest in science policy and a willingness to engage in policy work
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident
The application process involves submitting a resume, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a policy statement. Finalists are invited to Washington, D.C. for an interview, after which the most promising candidates are selected for the fellowship.
Benefits of the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships
The AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships offer many benefits to fellows, including:
- Policy experience: Fellows gain hands-on experience in the policy-making process and have the opportunity to work on a range of policy issues.
- Professional development: The fellowship provides opportunities for professional development, including seminars, workshops, and training sessions.
- Networking opportunities: Fellows have the opportunity to meet and work with a variety of policy makers, researchers, and professionals in their field.
- Competitive stipend: Fellows receive a competitive stipend, as well as allowances for health insurance and travel expenses.
The AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships offer a unique opportunity for scientists and engineers to gain hands-on policy experience and make a difference in the policy-making process. The fellowship offers many benefits, including policy experience, professional development, networking opportunities, and a competitive stipend. If you’re a scientist or engineer with a strong interest in science policy, consider applying for the AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships and make a difference in shaping the future of science and technology policy.