In the realm of academic and research opportunities, the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) have unveiled a remarkable prospect. The 2023 call for the MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships has officially commenced, bringing with it a budget of €260.47 million. These fellowships are tailored to elevate the creative and innovative capacities of researchers who hold a PhD and aspire to cultivate fresh skills through advanced training, fostering international cooperation, interdisciplinary collaboration, and cross-sectoral mobility.
Enriching Research Landscapes
The MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships are open to applications from researchers across diverse scientific domains, encompassing even the realm of Euratom research. This inclusivity broadens the horizons of potential recipients, making these grants accessible to an extensive spectrum of academia.
This exciting endeavor unfolds in two distinctive categories:
- European Postdoctoral Fellowships: This category invites researchers of all nationalities to embark on personalized projects within the European Union or in countries affiliated with Horizon Europe. It’s a journey of research, exploration, and academic growth.
- Global Postdoctoral Fellowships: Tailored for European nationals or long-term residents, these fellowships provide the opportunity to collaborate with organizations in third countries before returning to Europe. It’s an avenue to foster global academic exchange and enhance the researcher’s global perspective.
A vital facet of the application process is the collaboration with a host organization. This can span universities, research institutions, businesses, small or medium-sized enterprises, and other entities situated in an EU Member State or a country associated with Horizon Europe.
The MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships transcend the confines of traditional academia. Researchers are bestowed with an intriguing opportunity—an additional six-month extension at the culmination of their fellowship. This extension empowers them to partake in a placement within a non-academic establishment in Europe, nurturing a holistic understanding of their field’s practical applications.
Pathways for Reintegration and Resurgence
The call extends its embrace to a diverse range of researchers. From those yearning to reintegrate into the European research fabric to individuals displaced by conflicts, and even those with exceptional potential seeking to rekindle their academic journey—the MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships offer a pathway of revival and rejuvenation.
Timeline of Aspiration
As the clock ticks on this remarkable opportunity, it’s essential to mark the key dates:
- 12 April 2023: The curtain rises with the launch of the call for proposals.
- 13 September 2023: The final call, marking the deadline for proposal submissions.
- February 2024: As winter fades, the notifications of call results will be shared with the applicants (TBC).
- March-May 2024: Spring witnesses the signature of grant agreements for successful projects (TBC).
- April-May 2024: The initial EU-funded projects take flight, marking the culmination of a remarkable journey (TBC).
ERA Fellowships: Bridging Gaps
In the quest for a more inclusive research landscape, the ERA Fellowships emerge. These beckon researchers applying for European Fellowships with host organizations from “widening countries.” These countries, with relatively lower participation rates in Horizon Europe, can avail themselves of the ERA Fellowships, bridging the gap created by budgetary constraints.
The 2023 call for the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Postdoctoral Fellowships has opened a doorway to exploration, collaboration, and academic evolution. With its generous budget, diverse fellowship categories, and a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary and international engagement, this initiative has set the stage for over 1,200 projects to come to life. As the call remains open until September 13, 2023, the research community eagerly anticipates the array of innovative projects that will undoubtedly shape the future of academia.
How to apply
Learn about the next steps to apply for funding under this call.
Full call details
For full details of this call, visit the call page on the EU Funding & Tenders portal.
Who is eligible for the MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships?
Researchers with a PhD across various scientific fields can apply, regardless of their nationality.
Can the European Postdoctoral Fellowships be pursued outside the EU?
Yes, these fellowships encourage projects within the EU or countries associated with Horizon Europe.
When will the first EU-funded projects from this call commence?
The timeline suggests that the first EU-funded projects are expected to start between April and May 2024.